Below mentioned are some very interesting facts about reptiles. Reading them will let you know the worth of their existence on the earth.
- Reptiles are considered as among the longest lived species around the globe. For instance, large tortoises use to live for almost 150 years.
- The majority of snakes are recorded to be as non-venomous.
- According to a recent survey, bee sting is the cause of majority of Americans as compared to that of snake’s bite.
- Some species of snakes can easily survive for more than a month without eating anything. Big constrictors are best examples of this type of reptiles.
- It is believed that reptiles are not able to tolerate cold but this is not true in case of all reptiles. Some reptiles are able to swim under cold icy lakes. This very scene can easily be seen in the lakes of United States. Blanding turtles are among one of them.
- Some reptiles use their tongue in order to capture particles of scent. Lizards as well as snakes are best example of this fact. These do not smell things with the help of their nose because they use their tongue for this purpose. They hunt food by doing the same.
- Some reptiles eat eggs of other animals. African snakes are perfect example of this fact. These snakes eat whole eggs of other animals.
- Skull of some reptiles such as snakes is not a single piece of bone. There are so many tiny bones that are intersected with each other to make the skull of these reptiles.
- The majority of reptiles change their body color when they are in different background area. Chameleons are not among these reptiles. They do not change their body color.
- According to many people, reptiles are very slimy. This is not true at all. It is so because reptiles don’t possess any kind of sweat glands like human beings. They have very dry as well as cool skin. For instance, when a person touches a pet snake, then he or she knows that the snake is not slimy.
- Keratin is present in the scales of some reptiles like snakes. This substance is also involved in the making of fingernails as well as hair of human beings. Some reptiles such as snakes use to shed their entire skin with the passage of time. The growth rate of this shedding of skin is faster in young snakes as compared to those snakes that are old.
- Reticulated python is regarded as the longest snake present on the planet. It is more than 30 feet in length.
- Among venomous snakes, king cobra is on the top in longest snakes list. Its maximum length is approximately 18 feet.
- Reptiles are believed to be as oldest creature on the planet. Turtles are best example of it as they are present on earth for almost 250 million years.
Knowing these facts about reptiles not only tells you the worth of keeping these reptiles in your home but also boosts the knowledge if you are going to have them in the future.